Saturday, 26 December 2009

Mermaid trousers

Almost overlooked these, two little pairs of trousers from Ottobre 01/03, #5. One each for the Baby and the Niece made from the leftovers from the Princess' nightie fest a few weeks ago.

Ottobre Mermaid trousers

Ooga Booga!

With the arrival last year of the Baby and the Niece I decided to start making Christmas Eve pj's for all of the kids. I have always loved the Ooga Booga pattern so when a big box of co-op fabric arrived a few weeks ago with four different colourways inside I knew just what to do with it. The girls got to pick which colour they wanted and the Boy was pretty much stuck with the Camo but he didn't complain. I used Ottobre patterns for all of these, thanks to my obsession with keeping old tracings I had everything I needed already filed away so they were very quick to get done.

These were for the Baby and the Niece, the pattern for the tops are 03/04 #1 on the left and 01/08 #10 on the left. The trousers are both 01/03 #5 with a tiny alteration, I cut them two inches short and added a two inch cuff so they looked more like pj's - why is it they're just not pj trousers unless they have a cuff? It never bothers me with RTW but handmade must have a cuff or they look wrong lol! This is my favourite colourway, I had two yards from which I have squeezed the pj's and a Farbenmix Olivia dress with enough large scraps left for decent appliques.

DD3 and niece pj's

The Princess and the Monkey got more nighties from 06/09, they're not into pj's just now. Again I didn't bother flatlocking the seams, I don't really like the look.

DD1 and DD2 nighties

The Boy had the Rudolf pj pattern from 06/09, #37 in a 134cm. They looked absolutely enormous while cutting out, how on Earth did my Boy get to be so big without me noticing???

DS's pj's

Here they are all piled up ready to wrap, those little monsters are just so cute!

Christmas Eve pj's

Baby Rails and Bright Stripes

I finally got these finished about a week ago and hubby has given them to their new homes, they were very well received. Here is the Baby Rails pattern:


I quilted it with an all over stipple, took ages!! It's backed and bound with a Robert Kaufman cotton I've had in my stash for a very long time, a pretty lavender shaded check.


And here is a close up of my favourite of the fussy cut fairies I put at the corners.

Fussy cut fairies at the corners

The Bright Stripes quilt has been made entirely with leftovers from the Boy's quilt, I added a narrow border as the white was just too white on its own, it really needed something else to hold it in a bit. The backing is another Robert Kaufman cotton that has been languishing in my stash for a few years which happened to match the bright colours of the quilt very nicely. And there was one purple fat quarter left from the pack which was just enough to use as binding.


I tried a kind of loopy quilting on this one, I need to work on my technique a lot. Here's the back, I had one leftover square that I used as a label.


Back label

Saturday, 5 December 2009

A little more quilting

Bit of a catch up post this one, sorry for all the pics! The Boy's quilt top is almost done, here are the last three blocks:

Block 7

Block 8

Block 9

And here it is with the sashing and inner borders in place - it looks a bit bumpy here, I've since taken off and shortened two of the borders which has fixed it and left it laying much flatter.

J's top almost done!

I have four co-ordinating FQ's left which I'm going to put on as a piano key border, it is getting there!

There were quite a few scraps left over from this so I made a baby quilt which will be gifted to one of Hubby's work colleagues who has recently had a baby boy. It needs something else as a border, I haven't decided what. I didn't have a pattern for this one, I just pieced the leftovers together and made strips while trying to keep some degree of symmetry.

baby boy quilt

Another of Hubby's colleagues has had a baby girl in the last week (they're just popping them out over there lol!) so he asked me to make a quilt for her too. I have just the right thing to use, this FQ pack which I was given last Christmas.

baby girl quilt FQ pack

All lovely soft, glittery pastel colours just perfect for a baby quilt. I felt like a break from triangles so chose a simpler pattern from another of my secret santa books, the centre panel is a simple rail fence:

baby girl top centre piece

Then it has a plain solid inner border and the rest of the rail fence blocks make up the outer border along with four fussy cut fairies for the outer corners.

baby girl quilt top pieced

I'm not sure what to use for the backing and binding, I'm sure something will show up though, it's not like I'm short of fabric in this place lol!

And just a final few pics to show you how tough on my sewing space piecing all these quilts have been!

Hard at work on my increasingly messy desk
Messy table

Snip, snip, snip....I've been finding trimmed triangle points all over the house!
Messy floor

My ironing space, in front of the shoe cupboard which has been out of bounds for over a week.

Messy irnoning corner

Okay, that's it, all I've been up to for this time :)