Tuesday 19 April 2011

Three new tops

Yet more sewing for Princess! You can really tell that she's had a growth spurt can't you? I sewed up three long sleeve tops for her today and I think I'm finished sewing for her for a few days at least, Toddler's tops are getting to be skin tight so I think it's time to re-measure her.

These are all new patterns for me, I've had the magazines since they were published and all three have been on my ToSew list but I just never quite got around to them until today. I can't quite believe these will fit her, they're a size 128cm and they just look far too big for my six year old but hey, that's what she measures so we shall see.

First up is #28 from Spring 2009. The fabric is a horrible, slippery, thin knit which I could only sew without pulling my hair out thanks to spray starch. I think the pockets are a little low, I forgot to trace the marking for them so I eyeballed it. I will definitely sew this one again but in something less yucky to work with!

Ottobre 01/09 #28

While I personally like the velvet iron-ons I have a feeling Princess will not approve. The bodice needed something though and the fabric was just too thin to try applique or embroidery. Don't they just look like they've been Photo-shopped on there? They haven't, honest!

Ottobre 01/09 #28

This second one is from the same issue, it is the Orvokki tunic #18. Layered sleeves and shirring on the front and back panels add some interesting detail, the fabrics are cotton lycra I bought from The Fabric Fairy quite a while ago. The neckline and short sleeve edges are bound with fold over elastic, the long sleeves have a regular hem.

Ottobre 01/09 #18

The third is my favourite and I think it will be Princess' favourite too. She has been asking me to make her something from the horse camouflage fabric for a very long time so this one should get a big thumbs up! The pattern is from Autumn 2009, #21. It was the quickest of the three to sew (making it my favourite for two reasons lol!) and I will definitely use it again.

Ottobre 04/09 #21

I used green FOE at the neck and sleeve hems and green top stitching for the hem and yoke seam.

Ottobre 04/09 #21

5 comments:

  1. Those are cute. I like the use of stretchy elastic as binding. Is that fold over elastic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathy :) Yes, the last two tops use blue and green fold over elastic as the binding. Much quicker than ribbing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Thanks for the tip. I hate ribbing. But I love the way these look. I will have to try that with some Otto patterns, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tops are too cute! Would you mind sharing with you found the horse camo fabric? I saw it on the fabric fairy. However, it's a special order requiring a min. of 5 yards which makes one top a bit too pricey. ;P Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Blue :) That fabric has been in my stash for a while but I'm pretty sure I bought it from the Fabric Fairy, there definitely wasn't a 5 yard minimum when I got it though so it must have been an instock purchase instead of a special order back then.

    ReplyDelete