Saturday 5 November 2011

Copy of my favourite skirt

We shall skip over my absence of several months with a slightly embarrassed and apologetic cough and get right on to a sew'n'show.....

My favourite summer skirt for the last couple of years has been one my mam bought me from an unidentified high street shop (i.e. she couldn't remember and I don't recognise the label). It's made from natural coloured linen and has six identical flouncy gores with an invisible zipper in the side seam. I had been wanting to copy it for ages and finally gave it a go this summer. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and came out just perfectly the first time round. I ironed the original skirt, laid it out so one whole gore was flat on my table and just traced the shape of the gore onto my Fabribaste paper. Seam allowances were added when I cut it out and about an hour later, Ta-Da!!

RTW copy

One new summer skirt which is just lovely to wear, it's a very soft, drapey linen/rayon blend that has been ageing in my stash for a few years. The colour goes really well with the rest of the pieces I made for my summer SWAP, I love this and have been wearing it as often as I can. Here's the zipper in the side seam, you can see the top stitching on this panel starts lower down than the others as I couldn't topstitch alongside the zip.

Zipper

The waistband is finished with petersham ribbon, I stitched in the ditch along the panel seams to hold it in place.

Inside

And here's a modelled shot courtesy of Toddler. Please ignore the sweetie tins in the background, they hold notions honest!!

modelled

2 comments:

  1. The skirt looks great on you! How nice to be able to copy a much loved skirt and have it turn out so great.:)

    ReplyDelete