Thursday 24 November 2011

Ottobre 1/09 #36, jeans attempt two!

After the Kim disaster I decided to go back to Ottobre for my second attempt at jeans for Princess. The spring 2009 issue had a pattern she liked the shape of, the Sarita jeans #36. Some bright pink heavy cotton and fancy variegated thread later I had these for her to try:

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

The topstitching looks really bright and cheery, just the way she likes it :) It's Jean Stitch thread again in the Jewel colourway.

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

I had no issues sewing the pattern, it went together beautifully as so many Ottobre patterns do. I even took the time to topstitch the crotch and inseams though you'll be pleased to see I used a slightly more subtle thread there!

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

The zip fly sounded a lot worse than it actually was, Ottobre's directions were very easy to follow. I had a bright pink zipper in stash and Princess picked out a shiny silver button from the button jars.

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

The inside looks nice and neat for a change, the cherries fabric on the waistband was a leftover scrap from one of her favourite outfits. I pressed up the seam allowance on the waistband facing before sewing it on and that helped a lot when it came time to sew it down.

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

It's all going well so far, right? No seam ripping, no sewing frustrations and she can actually get them up past her hips. That's when my problems start though, when she puts them on. Princess loves them but I look at them and think "No, no, no!" In my opinion (and I'm the mother, it's my opinion that counts!) the style is much more suited to a tween/teenager than it is to my seven year old. The rise is just a bit too low and they're very fitted through the hip and bum, too fitted for my liking! What do you think?

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

There is one small fitting issue at the back waistband, it gapes away about an inch from her spine. Is that a sway back? My finger is the photo is just sitting in the gap, I'm not pulling at the fabric at all and can easily put it between her skin and the fabric.

01/09 #36 "Sarita" jeans 128cm

Any links to a good tute on how to alter for that would be appreciated, please save me from my appalling google skills :) I am also still looking for a trouser pattern that we both are happy with, wish me luck folks!

1 comment:

  1. the jeans look awesome. love the topstitching and waist band finishing. as for the gap... i have that problem too. i never use a straight waist band anymore. contoured bands fit much better. if the pattern has a straight waist band, you can add a center back seam on the waist band and make it taper in at that point. if you look at the straight waist band on your daughter, you can pinch out a "dart" in the back of the waist band to make it fit closer to the body.

    i have drafted my own contoured waist band to use with some of my favorite pants patterns. sadly, i am terrible at making tutorials. i use a very "trial and error" method. lots of messing around with muslin until i get the fit i want.

    ReplyDelete